there is water underground.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Just Say Arrrrrr!

There are all sorts of holidays and days of recognition out there. They range from the sublime (e.g. Martin Luther King Day, Yom Kippur) to the ridiculous (e.g. Patriots Day -- I'm not talking about Sept 11, which on my desk calendar is now called Patriots Day... I'm talking about the "holiday" in April that is "celebrated" by two or three New England states. Schools close, businesses close, and I still can't figure it out.) I'm sure that you could find some excuse to celebrate any given day of the year. (by the way, I share a birthday with both Mike Rinke and Tara Reid. Coincidence? ....yeah, probably... but it's an excuse to dress like a doctor and sleep with anything that moves (and that's just the Rinke part! Ohhhh!!!!))

But I've recently found the best excuse to celebrate: International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

That's right, International Talk Like A Pirate Day. It's right around the corner ("Only 3 weeks till ITLAP Day! Get your shopping done now!") and I fully plan on talking like a pirate all day on September 19. It's going to be especially interesting because I have to go on an airplane that day. What will happen if I wind up in an exit row and the flight attendant needs me to say "yes" when s/he asks if I'm willing to perform the duties? What will happen when my sword sets off the metal detector? Will the flight attendant be pissed if I call her "wench"? These are things that I wonder about. In any case, you've gotta love a holiday that basically owes itself to Dave Barry. Read the site - it's good for a few laughs, and it definitely shows that people have a whole lot of time on their hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home