there is water underground.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I am an ass.

So a few weeks ago, I was walking around outside during lunch, and an elderly gentleman got out of his car and said "Pardon me...". So of course, I asked if there was anything I could do, and he asked me if there was a KFC nearby. It just so happens that there is a KFC right as you exit the highway, and it's only about 1/2 a mile from where we were. So I gave him the directions; he thanked me and then told me that it was his 80th birthday, that he was a war veteran and was on his way to celebrate.

I thought it was awesome that he wanted to celebrate at the KFC (nothing says 'purple heart' like $0.99 buffalo snackers?). And so I proceeded with my day.

That was a few weeks ago. This morning, as I was walking from the far parking lot to work, I noticed that there was a huge number of cars in the main parking lot, and I asked another passerby what was going on. She told me that there was a town meeting in the Knights of Columbus hall and some official was being honored. I didn't give it too much thought. Then, at about ten-fifteen this morning, I had a sudden epiphany:

Knights of Columbus. KFC. K of C.

Oops.

I sincerely hope that the old guy was really looking for some fried chicken, but somehow I doubt it. I have two images in my head. One is of a crowded Knights of Columbus hall filled with expectant veterans, waiting to honor this dude who fought in a couple of wars. The other is of a thoroughly confused 80-year-old guy at the counter of a Kentucky Fried Chicken trying to ask the equally confused teenage Hispanic cashier about a K of C.

To the old man - wherever you are, I hope that you got the party that you deserved, and that you showed up with a huge bucket of chicken and a story about some shmuck who thought you were hungry.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm so happy, I might just have a poo in honor of your story.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the best story I've heard in ages.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Jadey said...

That actually made me laugh out loud - thanks, baby!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know the guy didn't laugh his head off when he got to KFC?? Bet he did. Guess who this is- I'm at work, at 8:35 pm on Sunday night, getting ready for another road-trip.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Love it. That's good bloggin'.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I still think about this every day and giggle. Just the fact that you actually told me about the weird old man on his birthday wanting to eat chicken before you had the "revelation" makes it the tastiest treat of all.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

LOL. That story is GREAT! Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work so all my co-workers can ownder about my sanity.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home